What is Hemp?
Industrial Hemp is a variety of the Cannabis sativa L. plant that by definition of law - contains 0.3% THC or less. The native hemp plant has been grown for thousands of years for fiber, food, concrete, and medicine, and with the advent of recent technologies, has been found to have over 25,000 sustainable industrial uses.
hemp in nc
Finished hemp goods including CBD have been legal in the United Sates since 2001, and with the passage of the section 7606 of the 2014 Farm Bill, is legal to grow in in 31 states including North Carolina, with a permit of course. These States have gone through steps outlined in section 7606 to comply with the federal government to grow Industrial Hemp as part of a research pilot program to determine Hemps viability as a valuable crop.
Hemp V.S. Marijuana
While Hemp and Marijuana are both cannabis plants, Hemp by definition of law, is a cannabis sativa L. plant that contains 0.3% THC or less. THC is the main psychoactive component in marijuana, and does not occur in effectual concentrations in hemp, meaning hemp does not get you high. While Hemp and Marijuana are from the same Hemp family - Cannabaceae, they are chemically distinct plants.
What is CBD?
CBD or Cannabidiol - is a widely recognized non-psychoactive cannabinoid molecule that can be extracted from the Cannabis sativa L. plant. The therapeutic value of cannabinoids, provide one of the largest market segments for hemp production.
In recent years CBD has gained global attention as being one of, if not the primary therapeutic compound in cannabis.
The U.S. Government has known of CBD's properties since October 7, 2003, going as far to document, and file a patent for it. To be more precise, the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services filed:
US Patent 6,630,507 Cannabinoids as Antioxidants and Neuroprotectants
Officially recognizing CBD as a viable therapeutic compound for a wide variety of ailments and illnesses.
TO SUM IT UP,
CBD has been heavily researched and documented as one of the most homeopathic herbal remedies available to man-kind, for more than a few thousand years (albeit maybe not by name). CBD has been found to aid the body in the regulation of homeostasis, meaning it helps you help yourself. Without the THC, Hemp is a fantastic herbal remedy, providing
All the health, without the high.
25,000 Uses and Counting
While hemp has thousands of known industrial uses, and can be used as a sustainable resource to replace many current materials, a few key uses stand out from the crowd.
- Hempcrete - hemp hurd x lime concrete composite for home & structure building
- Hemp Bio-Diesel - A viable bio-fuel to replace petroleum
- Hemp Bio-Plastics - A sustainable molded plastic suitable with endless uses
- Building Materials - Insulation, Hemp-Crete, fibre board
- Hemp Filament - Ink filament for 3D printers
- Hemp Textiles - Clothing, Bags, Fabrics, Shoes Canvas, Carpets
- Bio-Mass - For clean electric energy
- Paper Products - Paper, Packaging, Cardboard
- Livestock- Animal Bedding & Animal Feed
- Food / Nutrition - Protein Powder, Milk, Granola, Cooking Oil, Food Seeds
- Essential Oils & Supplements - Cannabinoid Supplements, Terpene Supplements
- Technical Products - Chemical Absorbents, Mulch, Paint, Solvents, Ink
- Body Care Products - Soap, Shampoo, Lotion, Cosmetics